Sunday, September 28, 2014

The things on my Agenda



Although I may be back from my 6 month stint in the UK, my gap year isn’t over so I am still in the process of looking for things to do for the next few months until Uni starts. For now I have been merely soaking in the presence of my family, which has proven to be an exhaustingly pleasant feat, especially after 6 months of being away.
Coming back was a bit of a culture shock in itself, but not in a bad way, In a way that has had me thrown back into the rituals of home life and the happenings of African Culture. A big contributor to this is the fact that the weekend I got back, was also the weekend that lobola negotiations were being done for my cousin- If you do not know what lobola is, I suggest you Google it. As a result of this my body has had to readjust itself from the ways of western life to that of my African family.
It has been great to actually be old enough to understand how this important part of African culture works and to be fully immersed in it. It has shown me all the things that I have missed about being back home, and I now know what to expect when I get married one day- when I am 85, maybe. On the downside of this, is the fact that every other family member approaches me and says “you’re next aren’t you? Will it be a white man?” To which I reply with a nervous giggle and a shrug of the shoulders.
Now, to my agenda. I do not have anything planned as of yet, but I am hunting around for jobs and things to do and I have come across the Johannesburg film and photography expo which I hope to go to at the end of next month. I think it is something like the largest of its kind in Africa so it should be really exciting. Other than that my plans are pretty flexible, I have loosely organized to go to Cape Town, to see old school friends and Pietersburg to see my lovely grandmother.
Most of my time however will be filled, by finishing touches to university things and an interview which is in the near future.
In between everything else I am enjoying being back in the African sun, which at times is rather scorching. But I guess it’s the perfect balance after in a country that has season commitment issues.
That’s all, Bye! :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment