Thursday, April 3, 2014

How very English of you

So, as I mentioned, I am in the UK and it is crazy amazing but also insanely cold which means it is the perfect weather for drinking bucket loads of tea and what not. There are certain (what's the right word?) nuances that I have noticed in the world of England and the British. Some of them are quite quirky, others are great and others are just plain weird. This is just a list of the main differences that I have noticed between South Africa and the UK.

1. British people are extremely polite.

I know that usually this is seen as a stereotype, but they really are very polite. And even when they try to come across as rude, you can just tell that it is against their nature to be rude or mean. They are extremely skilled at saying thank you and at apologizing, even when they do not need to. But I guess it is a good thing, except for the fact that for a while I thought that they were just being sarcastic.

2. They all drink so much tea

I really can't complain about this one because i love tea so it is the greatest thing to walk into someones house and to be certain that they will serve you a cup of tea.

3. They Greet Weirdly

The English have a weird habit of saying "you Alright?" instead of "how are you" and the customary reply is "yeah" nothing more, nothing less. This is weird for me because I am used to people asking me how I am am and then I would say something like "Good and you?" and they would reply with information about how they were. Now I just look like an ass because my daily dialogue with people here sort of ends up like this:

Person: You Alright?
Me: I'm good thanks, and you?
Person: Yeah.

*insert a million confused faces because what just happened?*

4. English people never introduce themselves

It just makes things awkward for everyone.

5. the weather is really strange.

DO they even have seasons in the UK? Because it sure feels like they don't. It is spring currently but it is literally so cold, and everyone's like, "what, it's so warm the sun's just come out for a minute and even though it's gone back behind the clouds, it's still warm isn't it?"

There are plenty of other things that are very different about the English, their world and their culture but These are the ones that jumped out at me. 

I'm gonna go and drink some tea, because I have to do things like that now. :)

That's all, Bye! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment