Saturday, August 23, 2014

As Promised: London!

My ticket to London. Is this relevant? No, but why not. 

BS: (Which is like PS but before. probably not the best choice of letters but, yeah.):  I am sure that this is the longest post I have ever done so sorry about all the reading.

As promised, here is a "cheeky" post about my 2 week stay in London. But first, I would like to point out, that I am disappointed that no one, and I mean no one, uses the word "cheeky" like I thought they would. So UK, boo on the false advertising, man.

The London eye, in passing, at night. 


Moving along. Yes, London, for the two weeks I was in the city that is so often referred to as the black smoke, I was doing an internship at a PR company. It was crazy though how much of my actual intellect and thought was required for this internship because I was actually doing actual things. Well, actual research, but it was quite a big thing which was really nice to get stuck into. let's play guess how many times Nomsa says "actual".

There was another intern there as well at the time which was cool because then I didn't feel like I was the only newbie who didn't know what was going on, although I am sure she knew more than I did about things because unlike me she was in the process of being educated at university. The best thing though, is that all the people at work were really cool and really nice and I was able to chat to them about things and ask for help where I needed it.

I did my internship at a PR company called Gong. The people are really cool and not to brag, but I sort of organised this internship myself so I was quite chuffed when it worked out. 


This is a view from the office, they are right next to Marylebone High Street so lunch time was always an adventure. 

But, my two week stay wasn't just an internship. A big part of it, was that for the first time ever, I stayed in hostel. Like a hostel with random other people from all over the world. It was great because I met a million and one new people, most of whom were impressed with my South African accent- I really don't see the appeal, but I'll take it. I also met a few South Africans- who would have thought?

It was decided that my nails were the same shade of blue as the Caffe Nero brand. My conclusion: I am Italian and fabulous. 


Beautiful things at the Covent Garden market.


This thing. 90s kids, you know, right?

I spent an hour trying to figure out how intentional this was.Mad architecture.


I don't know what or where exactly this is but yeah.

The hostel I stayed at is called The Generator and the best thing is that they are a chain of hostels so they have more scattered in various cities in Europe and the first rule of the hostel is: "Have fun" and then all the other health and safety stuff. They have a bar that always has something going on- DJs, Live music and game nights, so there literally is never a dull moment and you do not have to be worried about having to go out in London by yourself because you are bound to meet interesting people who are willing to hang out with you.

One of the bartenders does really cool things with glasses and bottles and he throws things and it's quite scary but it's really cool. 


Some cool people that I met. From Belgium and Italy respectively.They have successfully convinced me to go and visit Europe. 

To end off my stay in London, I did something called a pub crawl. Essentially, you buy a ticket which gives you free entry into various places, reduced drink prices and a free shot at every stop, all at a reasonable price. So you save money, meet new people and have a good time, what more could you need? I think the general idea of the pub crawl is that by the end of the night people are crawling between the pubs, and rolling themselves home, which I wasn't because: sensibility, right? And also because I was accompanied by a lovely (then stranger, now friend) called Sofia... she's from Italy so she's obviously great.

Overall I had an incredible time, an exhausting time, but incredible none the less. So for now, I am taking a hiatus from city life in the beautiful countryside of Somerset.

That's all, Bye! :) x

P.S: just kidding there isn't a PS, you've been punked son! Ok, I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog Nomsa! But I'm so angry you didn't mentioned me!
    I'm joking of course! I'll continue to read your blog :) kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Sofia. To make it up to you, I'll go back and edit the post and have you in it because you were nice enough to hang out with me and my craziness :) I wish I had a picture of us though because that would be great, xx

      Delete