Friday, August 15, 2014

England in Summation

Although there are still a few months of my gap year left, my stay in England is drawing to a close and it is the strangest thing in the world. I think that after living in a place for almost 6 months, it does start to feel a little like home, especially if you get a chance to meet the amazing people that I have. I have done more things than I could have ever imagined and I have learnt so much about who I am as a person- I am actually a person.
This being said, I do miss home and I do miss my family so I guess that is the bright side to leaving this amazing country. It will be a bit strange though to go back to what seems like a completely different world and I am sure that I will seem like a completely different person, which I am not, I am just a more enhanced version of myself.
It’s funny because at first I thought that taking a gap year was a bit of a crazy decision, and that I would get halfway and be like “I should have just taken the university option.” When in actually fact, I realise that it would have been crazier for me to not have taken a year off.
Anyway the purpose of this post (she says 3 paragraphs in) is to a give a short timeline/summary of what I have done while in the UK so here it is:
  • Arrived(obviously) on the 21st of march to freezing cold weather to which everyone referred as fresh... Anyone who's never been to the UK, fresh= arctic conditions, but colder. 
  • Did some work experience with a web designer where I did some of the copy for one their clients’ page, and learnt how Google AdWords work.
  • Volunteered at an organisation that was building a bereavement garden at the time. It was incredible to also see how the final garden looked, it was absolutely beautiful.
    • http://participatearts.org.uk/ 
  • I then went to watch HMS pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan, possibly one of the best plays that I have seen in a long time.
  • Went to a lovely place called New Quay for a short 1 week holiday. I didn't do a post about it (unfortunately) but here is a picture of the lovely people that I met. 

  • Went to do my internship in London at an advertising agency called Publicis.
  • I then went to visit a very good friend of mine in Birmingham (Hannah(pictured below) and John and Vanessa and JJ( not pictured below)), we have been friends since we were like 3 basically which is incredibly amazing.
 This is a picture of as looking super flawless.
  • I then went on a tour of London which I made a video about, I was taken on said tour by some friends (the lovely Sandy and Thomasina.)
  • I then did a two day work experience thingy at a productioncompany in London. It was for the Marks and Spencer’s summer campaign (I think I can mention it now.)
  • I then went to the lovely, amazingly beautiful city of Oxford. And while in oxford I attended an African conference which I will do a very late post about because I think I learnt a lot of important stuff there.
  • I then read a tale of two cities and I say this because it really was an important part of my whole existence.
  • I then held, planned and hosted my own social media course which, ironically, I didn’t do a blog post about but I will do a very late one because I think it’s necessary.
  • Possibly the least expected part of my gap year was going to a place called Embercombe and doing possibly the most incredible leadership course imaginable. I also went back to Embercombe a while after as a volunteer which was also incredible.
  • We then went to the lowland games which is a “family” tradition of sorts. Blog post here.
  • Most recently I was in Stroud doing a work experience/internship sort of thing at a company that accredits various degrees and courses.
  • And now I am in London again doing an internship at a PR company and living in a hostel for 2 weeks. I will make sure to post about that at the end of the two weeks.
I am sure that there are a million and one things that I haven't included in this list, but if I did this list would just go on forever. It kind of blows my mind just looking at all the things that I have done, it seems completely surreal, almost as if these aren't my own experiences. My only hope is that I continue having more and more of these adventures, for the rest of the year and for the rest of forever.

That's all, Bye! :) x

And also (although I'm still here for a bit) the massivest (it's a word now) thank you to the Drewells who are basically my second family, and who contributed at least 99.9% to the amazing time I have had (the other 1%,  is everyone I have met/seen/connected with)



Also also, if you click on the underlined words it will take you, either, to a link with a blog post about said event, or its a lame ad. If it's the latter, it's not my doing, blame google.


No comments:

Post a Comment